Friday, October 16, 2015

Mary the Trimble fanatic!!


Our new volunteer....all the way from the USA!!............




Hi everyone! I'm Mary, I'm the new volunteer here at MCSS! I'll be staying until January for the turtle nesting season, helping out at the Banyan Tree and Turtle Monitoring project in general.

                                                        Colecting data and rubbish at the same time

Last Friday was my first day of work at the wildlife center, and they wasted no time in getting me out into the field, going on patrols with Vanessa and Lynn. I was introduced to our Trimble, which we use to collect data. I probably won't be seen on the beach without it!

Throughout this week, in addition to patrols at off site beaches, we did patrols every day on Anse Intendance, the beach that the Banyan Tree resort is located on, and we had quite a few guests from our center walk with us for patrols. 
Turtle awareness walk

One lucky group helped us as we found tracks and a nest! The others were treated to a walk on the beach and learned about turtles. As it is still early in the nesting season, this week we had a few "null" patrols, or patrols where no new evidence of turtle activity were found. As the season enters the peak months of November and December, I'm assured it will be a bit crazier on the beach, with turtle sightings galore!

                Carrying the trap  to the trapping site

With our terrapin project, I helped Lynn and Vanessa put traps into our wetlands. We've caught tilapia, but no terrapins in the traps yet.

Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment