Monday, July 6, 2015

New arrivals: Vicky and Pirate (Vicky's post)


What feels like just a few days of excitement, discoveries and fun has already been a week working here at MCSS. I didn’t know what to expect nor what I’d be assigned to do but so far it has been an enriching experience.

My first day here required me to familiarise myself with the terrapins (Project, Humpy and Haze), learn about their daily needs and the technical aspects of monitoring them.
Project, being the first and most adorable patient of the rehabilitation centre, made me fall in love with the species of black-mud terrapins.
Vicky and Project
On my third day of trapping with Rachel we both had a wonderful surprise when we saw a little black-mud terrapin in the traditional fish trap (“casier”). As he was missing an eye we decided to give him an appropriate name: Pirate. Later that day we weighed, measured and fed him and brought him to his new enclosure. He has now officially become the thirtieth individual the centre has found.
Vicky holding Pirate, our newest patient
The location of the MCSS office for this project is in itself stunning. Not only do I get to work with an endemic species but I am surrounded by beautiful scenery and great company all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment