Thursday, April 5, 2018


My name is Cheyenne-Mae Chang-Yunn (but Cheyenne works just fine), I am a 20 year old local working with MCSS as a Field Research Assistant for The Banyan Tree Resort Project Team. 

I started on the 5th February 2018 and from then on have been assigned with mostly all the tasks carried out at the Wildlife & Rehabilitation Centre from terrapin and turtle monitoring to daily minor up keeping.

It has been just over 2 month sworking at the Centre which has been just enough to get used to the working environment and frame. 

The terrapin trapping sessions in the Intendance wetland has been put under my accountability whereby I now choose the sites of putting the traps each week, take responsibility of checking the traps, processing the terrapins caught and ensure their release and safekeeping. I have found sensation in carrying out this mission, since I have not worked with terrapins before yet hearing all about it and it has been added to the list of endemic species and sub-species of Seychelles that I have worked with.

Along with guest interaction, conducting tour guides in English and French around the centre and power point presentations, I also participate in conducting the ‘Adopt a Terrapin’ project with the guests and the wetland bird monitoring.

I have also gained the opportunity to work with one of my favorite animals - the sea turtles. I help with the monitoring activities on Anse Intendance, which is one of the most important nesting beach in the south of Mahe. I get the change to perform nest excavations, take measurements of the hatchlings (carapace length, weight, etc.) and simply observe them entering the water for the first time. 

Data recording is also part of my duties along with working on the Banyan Tree Wildlife description document and more. Additionally I have been involved in other projects such as beaches characterization and sea turtle monitoring on other beaches.

Learning something new every other day keeps the motivation high hence I am gaining more eagerness to keep on acquiring knowledge in my work and planning out research work both off and on field to smoothen my further studies in conservation work.








No comments:

Post a Comment