Thursday, January 4, 2018

Saratha helping MCSS

Firstly to introduce myself, my name is Saratha Naiken. I’m 17 years old and I’m from the Seychelles Islands.

I’ve recently joined MCSS for a 2 months volunteer program.
My passion is to become either a Veterinarian or a Marine Biologist, therefore working at MCSS gives me the chance to experience varies activities such as: Sea Turtles monitoring, Freshwater turtles trapping, X-Ray observations, sand experiments etc…that I have taken part in which I find extremely useful and relevant for my future career choices.

During my first day of work at the MCSS I had the chance to encounter on the beach a critically endangered Hawksbill sea turtle that approached the shore to lay its eggs. I gained the knowledge of how and when approach a sea turtle, how to take measurements of its carapace and how to take pictures useful for photo identification. The turtle laid eggs too close to the high tide line that is why we had to relocate the nest in a safer place. 
Figure 1: Sea Turtle Nesting on Intendance beach

This was truly a beautiful and unforgettable moment I experienced in my life.

Working here at MCSS gives me the opportunity to seek new experience every single day and learn different facts and figures about the importance of the wildlife. 

Figure 2: Eggs to relocate
                                           I thank the entire MCSS team for supporting me and guiding me through all the daily tasks and I am truly proud to be part of this volunteer program and I hope to contribute in the future in the conservation of the wildlife and in the preservation of my country in general.


No comments:

Post a Comment