Thursday, June 11, 2015

Terra Terra Terrapins (Irma and Rachel)


Irma
Miracle is still being shy but seems to be eating well. Rachel and I dug holes last week for the new insect traps and as we finished covering up the trap my eyes caught a terrapin swimming. I sprung after it and caught it, but it put up a lot of fight. We brought it to the Centre for routine measurements with trouble as it kept fighting me in the process. I started thinking it didn’t like me as Rachel did great with it.  She turned out to be a recap whose name was Winnie surprisingly; I was going to name it Grumpy.

Insect Trap 1

Winnie/Grumpy


It rained quite a lot during the long weekend and the water level was a lot higher than usual when we came back on Monday making it impossible to take water changes. But I kept thinking this might be a good day for terrapin sightings – sadly, this was not the case! But thankfully our insect-traps were still safe and sound even though one was impossible to access due to water level rise.

As I came in on Tuesday there was good news. The minute I sat foot in the office Rachel said there were two terrapins at the gate that we needed to see to. I was amazed – two sightings in the early morning! We again did routine measurements and released them. One of them was a recap that we immediately recognized due to the nail varnish on its carapace, and the other was a new individual! Both were Black Mud Turtles and quite small, but the extra information is welcome!

Ed the recapture
Rachel
As Irma has explained above, this week’s been quite eventful! On Wednesday and Thursday I was out of the office attending a two-day workshop by members of the ZSL Edge Team, which was organized by Dr Rachel Bristol. EDGE species are Evolutionarily Distinct and Globally Endangered and apparently we have an unusually high number of EDGE species in Seychelles. It was very informative and a pleasure to attend, and I am highly grateful for the experience.

Dr Rachel Bristol and ZSL EDGE team, Rachel and Olivia

Monday was also World Ocean’s Day for all those of you who didn’t know, so if you didn’t do anything on Monday, maybe take the time this weekend to go to the beach! If you’re feeling particularly proactive, maybe bring a bin-bag and pick up any rubbish you see lying around near or on the beach. Only around 30% of the litter in the sea actually stays on the surface, so there’s another 70% we’re just not seeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment